N26 & Bitcoin
Since the first writing of our in-depth review of N26 two years ago, a lot of people have been asking us about how N26 approaches Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
So we’ve finally written a post designed to explain exactly that. In this post, we’ll look at everything you could want to know about N26 and Bitcoin:
- Does N26 support Bitcoin today?
- Does N26 support other cryptocurrencies?
- When will N26 add Bitcoin support?
- Do other online banks like Revolut support cryptocurrencies?
What Is N26?
Put simply, N26 is the best online bank for most people.
N26 offers a host of great features, including:
- Free worldwide ATM withdrawals: Wherever you are in the world, N26 Black and N26 Metal members can withdraw from any ATM at the inter-bank exchange rate with zero fees, as if you’re still at home.
- Free international money transfers: Send an unlimited number of money transfers to friends, colleagues, suppliers, customers–all for free.
- An extremely powerful app: Toggle online payments and spending limits, reset your PIN, pay with Apple Pay and Google Pay, receive real-time transaction notifications, and a lot more–all in the N26 app.
- Medical expenses up to an unlimited amount.
- Travel cancellation insurance up to €5,000 per trip.
- Flight and luggage delay insurance up to €400.
- Stolen cash insurance up to €500.
- Stolen mobile phone insurance up to €300.
- Extended warranty on purchases up to €500.
There’s a lot more to the N26 insurance policy than that–including why we recommend combining N26 with SafetyWing for the ultimate travel & medical insurance combination–but this gives you a good idea of what N26 is all about.
Now that you know the basics of N26, let’s dive deeper into how it deals with Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies.
Does N26 Support Bitcoin?
The short answer is: not yet.
When will N26 start supporting Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies)? Very, very soon.
In December 2017, N26 CEO Valentin Stalf said the online bank would be adding Bitcoin support within the next year. This means they’re slightly behind on that timeline.
The good news is that cryptocurrency support is probably just around the corner for N26 users today, and it could launch any day now. So if you aren’t already an N26 user, now is a good time to sign up.
Revolut & Bitcoin
A few weeks ago, I published an in-depth comparison between N26 and Revolut. It captures all of the major differences between the two online banks, and shows why N26 is a significantly better choice.
However, one of the advantages Revolut users have over N26 users is that Revolut offers cryptocurrency support.
Revolut was the first financial entity among the “challenger banks” to let users buy and sell cryptocurrency. The company says that one of its goals is to make crypto easy to use.
Revolut charges a 1.5% fee for cryptocurrency transactions completed in the Revolut app. Users can send crypto to other Revolut members at no fee.
Revolut users can trade any of the Revolut card’s 25 currencies for one of five cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Litecoin (LTC).
This video explains Revolut’s cryptocurrency offering in more detail:
For now, N26 does not support Bitcoin, but it’s very likely that it will soon. To receive an update when N26 starts supporting Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, join our email list at the bottom of this post. We don’t send any spam–just relevant, impactful information to make your financial life on the road easier and better.
Get $30 off your next online purchase at 3,500+ stores. Only with Rakuten.
Want to save $30 on your next online purchase?
Rakuten gives you cashback on the purchases you're already making. From Amazon to Nike and every retailer in between, millions of users save $450+ per year just by installing the Rakuten app or browser extension.