The N26 MasterCard is comes standard with every N26 account, which we’ve found to be the best online bank for most people.
It’s powerful, convenient, and easy to use, giving you plenty of flexibility around the world–all completely free.
What Is N26?
Put simply, N26 is the best online bank for most people.
N26 offers a host of great features, including:
- Free worldwide ATM withdrawals: Wherever you are in the world, N26 Black and N26 Metal members can withdraw from any ATM at the inter-bank exchange rate with zero fees, as if you’re still at home.
- Free international money transfers: Send an unlimited number of money transfers to friends, colleagues, suppliers, customers–all for free.
- An extremely powerful app: Toggle online payments and spending limits, reset your PIN, pay with Apple Pay and Google Pay, receive real-time transaction notifications, and a lot more–all in the N26 app.
- Medical expenses up to an unlimited amount.
- Travel cancellation insurance up to €5,000 per trip.
- Flight and luggage delay insurance up to €400.
- Stolen cash insurance up to €500.
- Stolen mobile phone insurance up to €300.
- Extended warranty on purchases up to €500.
There’s a lot more to the N26 insurance policy than that–including why we recommend combining N26 with SafetyWing for the ultimate travel & medical insurance combination–but this gives you a good idea of what N26 is all about.
What Is The N26 MasterCard?
The N26 MasterCard is the card you receive with every N26 account, whether you have the standard N26 account, N26 Black or N26 Metal. It’s the bridge between your bank account and your spending ability.
The N26 MasterCard It gives you the best of both worlds: you can save money in your N26 account just like you would in any other bank account, but you can also spend that money anywhere in the world, just like you would with a major credit card.
Benefits Of The N26 MasterCard
The N26 MasterCard is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the N26 Maestro card. The key difference between the two is that while every N26 member gets a MasterCard, you only receive a Maestro card if you request one. However, the Maestro card is a good workaround for creating an N26 joint account with your partner, something that the MasterCard can only do if you connect it to Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Here are some of the top benefits of the N26 MasterCard:
- Totally Free: The N26 MasterCard is completely free, both on transactions at home and abroad.
- Spend Worldwide: With a debit card (EC karte), your spending is limited to wherever your bank allows. For many people, that means you can only spend in your home country, or if you can spend abroad, it will be very expensive. With the N26 MasterCard, you can spend your cash anywhere that MasterCard is accepted–just about everywhere in the world!
- Zero Currency Exchange Fees: When you buy something in a foreign currency, most MasterCards and other credit cards will charge you an exchange rate that’s 1-2% higher than the actual mid-market rate. With your N26 MasterCard, you pay the mid-market rate every time, saving you 1-2% on all of your foreign purchases.
Features Of The N26 MasterCard
The three benefits we’ve listed above are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what you can do with your N26 account. Here are some of the most-loved features of your card:
- Free Worldwide ATM Withdrawals: We cover this at depth in our original N26 review, since it’s one of the greatest features of the N26 account: no matter where you are in the world, if you’re an N26 Black or N26 Metal member, you can withdraw from ATMs for free. If you’re a standard N26 member, you pay a 1.7% fee, which is still better than what most banks charge for foreign ATM withdrawals once you account for the withdrawal fee, the currency exchange spread, and everything else.
- MoneyBeam: Send instant money transfers to friends, family and anyone else with just their phone number or email address thanks to N26 MoneyBeam. No bank credentials or IBAN required!
- Apple Pay & Google Pay: When you connect your N26 card to your devices, your life gets a whole lot easier. Here’s a bonus post on how to create an N26 joint account using Apple Pay.
- Real-time transaction notifications: Whenever money goes in or out of your account, whether it’s a transfer you’ve initiated or a pre-authorized payment, you’ll get a notification.
- Transaction categories: Every transaction is assigned a category like “Bars & Restaurants” or “Travel & Holidays” to keep track of your spending that way. Just another benefit of having a banking tool built by coders, rather than a piece of technology built by bankers.
- PIN resets: Resetting your PIN at any time is as simple as logging into the app and changing it. No calling N26, no trips to the ATM, etc etc. 30 seconds and it’s done.
- Lock/unlock your card: Just like resetting your PIN, locking your card to make it unusable for a period of time is as simple as logging in and pressing the button. Unlocking it is just as easy.
- Payments abroad, online payments and cash withdrawals: For your security, you can toggle these on and off at any time.
- Set spending and withdrawal limits: Another security feature that you can choose and change in the app at any time.
Comparing The N26 MasterCard & The N26 Maestro Card
|N26 MasterCard||N26 Maestro Card|
|Euro ATM Withdrawals||Free||€2 per withdrawal|
|Foreign ATM Withdrawals||1.7% for Standard users|
Free for N26 Black users
Free for N26 Metal users
|€2 + 1.7% per transaction|
|App Control Center||Yes||Yes|
|Real-Time Transaction Notifications||Yes||Yes|
Every N26 user receives an N26 MasterCard, a simple yet powerful tool for doing all of the banking you need–transactions, ATM withdrawals and money transfers, both at home and abroad–with ease.
The N26 MasterCard comes loaded with plenty of features and benefits, which you can read more about in our full reviews of N26, N26 Black and N26 Metal. Many users’ favorite features are the travel & medical insurance plan and N26’s investment platform.
To stay up-to-date with the most impactful financial breakthroughs relevant to digital nomads and frequent travelers, join our email list at the bottom of this post. We don’t send spam–just hard-hitting insights to make your financial life on the road easier and better.
Also, since so many of you have been asking us for them, here's our full list of country-specific posts outlining how to ship anything from Amazon to any country in the world. Our 2-step method makes it as simple as humanly possible, and takes about 3 minutes total: Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, China, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Kuwait, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Asia as a whole, Europe as a whole and the United Arab Emirates.
While you're at it, international travelers should read our N26 review for the best way to get free ATM withdrawals the best rates on currency conversion - anywhere in the world.